The Nomads will be presenting Dickens’ A Christmas Carol in December 2018, directed by Graham Botterill.
The famous tale of Ebenezer Scrooge’s journey from miserable miser to generous benefactor, has been a popular feature of Christmas since it was published in 1843. Scrooge’s redemption is prompted by the visitation of a succession of spirits. By turns exciting, terrifying, amusing and always moving; this story is a wonderful prelude to Christmas.
- Performance dates: 11-14 December 2018 at 7:45pm, 15 December 2018 at 2:30pm and 7:45pm
- Rehearsal days: from 2nd September, Sundays at 2:30pm, Wednesdays at 7:30pm plus most Mondays from 17th October
- Sunday 15th July at 2:30pm
- Monday 17th July at 7:30pm
- Wednesday 19th July at 7:30pm
- Further dates will be announced…
Auditions will be held in the Bob King room at The Nomad Theatre, Bishopsmead Parade, East Horsley, Leatherhead, Surrey KT24 6RT (click here). There’s no fixed order; but, if possible, children will be auditioned first.
If you are interested in auditioning and/or would like further information, please contact Graham on [email protected]
There are over 60 characters, so cast members will be doubling and trebling parts. There are lots of fun roles including an ensemble of Carollers, Country Folk, Party Guests, Townspeople, Children, Businessmen, Sailors etc.
Characters (in no particular order):
- Ebeneezer Scrooge: Playing age 60+ – A mean, unhappy loner who recovers his humanity and a fine sense of humour.
- Bob Cratchit: Playing age 30+ – A gentle, downtrodden clerk who adores his family and desperately tries to provide for them.
- Fred (Scrooge’s Nephew): Playing age 30’s – A warm, humorous man who is determined to redeem his uncle.
- Charity Ladies: Playing age 40+ – Respectable ladies who can be doubled with the un-respectable Charwoman and Laundress.
- Street Urchin: Playing age 12+ – crossing-sweeper, message-runner, etc.
- Jacob Marley: Playing age 50+ – The ghost of Scrooge’s dead partner. A booming, terrifying character. Can be doubled with Old Joe the rag and bone man.
- Ghost of Christmas Past: Female – Playing age 30s – Initially frightening but sympathetic to Scrooge’s plight. Can double with Mrs Cratchit and/or Ada (Mrs Fred)
- Boy Ebeneezer: Playing age early teens – can double as Peter Cratchit
- Fanny Scrooge: Playing age early teens – Ebeneezer’s sister
- Schoolmaster: Playing age 40+ – a fierce bully who made Scrooge’s schooldays miserable.
- Mr Fezziwig: Playing age 50+ – Scrooge’s first employer…a jovial, generous man who knew how to celebrate Christmas. Can double with Ghost of Christmas Present.
- Mrs Fezziwig: Playing age 50+ – Fashionable, enthusiastic and adores her husband. Can double with Charwoman or Laundress.
- Young Ebeneezer: Playing age 17 to 25 – An enthusiastic apprentice and fiancé of Belle. Can double with Undertaker.
- Dick Wilkins: Playing age 17 to 25 – Fellow apprentice. Can double with Fred’s friend Topper.
- Belle: Playing age 18 to 25 – Young Ebeneezer’s fiancé. Can double with Young Wife and/or Ada’s Sister.
- Ghost of Christmas Present: Male – Playing age 40+ – Big and cheerful…a sort of prototype Santa Claus. Can double with Mr Fezziwig & Businessmen.
- ParcelMen (2): Any age – Diamond geezers.
- Mrs Cratchit: Playing age 30+ – desperate to keep her family alive on Bob’s pathetic wages. Can double as a Charity Lady.
- Martha Cratchit: Playing age mid-teens – oldest of the Cratchit children. Works long hours for little reward.
- Peter Cratchit: Playing age early teens – can double as Boy Ebeneezer
- Tiny Tim: Playing age about 8 – the much-loved baby of the family. Could be played by boy or girl. Must have the “Aaah” factor.
- Ada (Fred’s wife): Playing age 20+ – Suffers Fred’s ‘sense of humour’
- Ada’s Sister: Playing age 20+ – Unmarried, as yet.
- Topper: Playing age 25+ – Keen to marry Ada’s Sister…or anyone.
- Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come: – Tall and terrifying. Non-speaking role…but bags of non-verbal communication.
- Old Joe: Playing age 50+ – Filthy, Fagin-ish rag and bone man. Ideally doubled with Jacob Marley.
- Charwoman: Playing age 40+ – Coarse, grasping harridan…doubles nicely with Charity Lady.
- Laundress: Playing age 40+ – Coarse, grasping harridan…doubles nicely with Charity Lady.
- Undertaker: Playing age 17 to 25 – Pond life. Can double with Young Ebeneezer.
- Plus Carollers, Country Folk, Party Guests, Townspeople, Children, Businessmen, Sailors, etc.