The Hollow by Agatha Christie
Directed by Murray Stephen
Tuesday 18th to Saturday 22nd February at 7:30
Tickets: adults £14, children/students £10.
A game of romantic follow the leader explodes into murder one weekend at The Hollow. Dr Cristow, a Harley Street lothario, is at the centre of the trouble when assembled in one place, are his wife Gerda, his mistress Henrietta and his former lover, Veronica. Also visiting are Edward and Midge. When Cristow is shot dead, nearly everyone has a motive.
Book online now – BOX OFFICE – or call 01483 284747.
- Henrietta Angkatell: Moyra Brookes
- Sir Henry Angkatell, K.C.B : Graham Botterill
- Lady Lucy Angkatell: Judy Kelly
- Midge Harvey: Helen Teasdale
- Gudeon: Phil Wilcox
- Edward Angkatell: Dan Shepherd
- Doris: Ellie Sayer
- John Cristow, M.D, F.R.C.P : Michael Ayres
- Veronica Craye: Suzanne Doherty
- Inspector Colquhoun, C.I.D : Jason Spiller
- Detective Sergeant Penny: Stuart Everington
The Hollow was published in 1946 as a book featuring Hercule Poirot. When it was turned into a play in 1951 the part of Poirot was omitted as Agatha Christie felt that Poirot ruined the book! The detectives’ names were also changed for the play. It was turned into a TV movie in 2004 starring David Suchet as Poirot. This adaptation differed from the play in several ways including the denouement at the end.
It was originally premiered at the Arts Theatre Cambridge on 10/2/51. Following a tour, it transferred to The Fortune Theatre London on 7/6/51 and finally transferred to The Ambassadors Theatre London on 8/10/51 where it ran for 11 months (376 performances). The reviewer from The Times described it as “Ingenious entertainment”